Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Baron Has Landed

My wife and I rode in the 2010 edition of the Tour de Muleshoe (TX), and I ran into two really fast recumbent riders on Velokraft VK2's. I have considered recumbent riding for quite some time, but I have never had any SERIOUS motivation for looking hard at purchasing one...until now. John Colburn and his buddy on their VK2's totally dominated the race from start to finish. I didn't realize just how fast and seemingly fun these bikes were...so I began to look. It only took a week or so for me to make my purchase, which was an Optima Baron from Bent Up Cycles in Van Nuys, CA. Dana and Kate got me going in the right direction, and I am ready to begin developing some recumbent muscles and start burning up the roads.


The UPS delivery driver arrived at our house around 1400 on the 9th of July. Dana worked really hard to get the bike to me a week ahead of my next cycling event. My uncle has Multiple Sclerosis, and I ride on a team called the "Carney Men" who ride in the Cactus & Crude MS150 from Big Spring to Post, TX, every year. The route was detoured a little this year as a result of flooding associated with Hurricane Alex, and our finish line will be in Lamesa, TX, this year.


John Colburn came over and assisted me in the Baron build...this is the new machine just prior to getting out on the street and looking very awkward for a few minutes! The recumbent really is a different feeling ride, but I am excited to put some miles on it and begin to get better. Nathan has really enjoyed climbing all over the Baron in the house...Amber wasn't so excited about the chain grease on his clothes...OOPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment