Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hotter'N Hell Hundred

I decided late last week that I would travel to Wichita Falls, TX, to ride in the 2010 edition of the Hotter'N Hell Hundred bike ride. In spite of the fact that I live this close, I have never done this ride before. Given that the temperature at the start this morning was about 70 degrees and it barely hit 90 when I finished, I am not sure it actually qualified for "Hotter'N Hell" status...not that I am complaining by any means!


There were more than 13,000 registered riders this year, and it was pretty chaotic at times...packet pickup being one (below). This was the line I stood in post-registration to get my t-shirt and goodie bag.


There was a booth at the expo for Renovo bikes (below) who produces handmade hollow wood and laminated bamboo frames. They had road, mountain, and city bike versions available for viewing. The framesets are going for around $2700, but they are supposedly more comfortable and stiffer than carbon...definitely better looking in my humble opinion!



Gettin' ready to put some miles on the Baron! The recumbent & tandem riders were allowed to start up front just prior to the bridge. I had the opportunity to meet and visit with some really nice "bent" folks before we took off.



I managed to complete the ride without stopping at any of the rest stops today! My stomach had been feeling a little off all morning, so I decided to just keep pushing.

This ended up being a pretty good ride, but the start and first 30 miles were pretty chaotic with wrecks and stops-a-plenty due to a combination of inexperienced cyclists and a packed field of riders that were struggling up some little rollers. It was a good experience, and I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to come ride it...may never do it again though!

Total ride time was 4:44:36 with a 21.1 mph average!

2 comments:

  1. Did you see Mark L on his Baron at HnH100?

    :)
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...I contacted Mark ahead of time, but I didn't ever see him. As it turns out, he was probably no more than 50 feet in front of me at the start. I hate that we didn't have the opportunity to meet.

    ReplyDelete