Monday, August 30, 2010

Fastback Double Century Insulation

I purchased a Fastback Double Century hydration system new with my Baron and have loved having the extra carrying capacity for fluids, tubes, tools, nutrition, etc., but have been less than thrilled with the lack of insulation for my Camelbak bladder. The water I carry gets warm in no time, and the rise in temperature of the water seems to be directly proportional to the decline of positive thoughts in my head as I barrel down the road!

I contacted the folks at TerraCycle since they now own Fastback Systems, and they are apparently in the process of producing an insulating pouch for bladders. The problem is that they aren't available for sale yet. I decided to come up with a make-shift solution in the meantime! I purchased a 3mm neoprene yoga mat and cut it so that it lined the inside of the Fastback bag on both sides with a hole for the bladder's hose. I used this setup in the Hotter'N Hell ride, and I had ice and cold fluids for the bulk of the ride. It's by no means a perfect solution, but it worked pretty well for a short-term fix. Most of the time, I won't be riding more than four hours without a stop where ice will be available again...hopefully!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea. Have a Fastback Double Century Bag and moving to Tucson this year. Thanks for sharing your invention.
    Susan Reed

    ReplyDelete